Why Choose this Training Course?
General Counsel are primarily responsible for ensuring that from a legal standpoint, senior management is able to make the best-informed choices for their business. A General Counsel has important leadership and advisory responsibilities to fulfil in order to achieve this goal and create a legally compliant company. As Chief Legal Officer, he or she is responsible for ensuring that a company complies with laws and regulations while carrying out its business and operations; advising board members on relevant laws; responding to litigation and overseeing the development of legal policies and procedures in the company, and representing the company in both transactional and contentious business. It is a role that is multi-tasked.
This General Counsel Masterclass training course is intended to help intending or newly appointed General Counsel to understand the demanding and complex tasks involved and develop the managerial and leadership skills needed to build upon their legal background.
This AZTech training course will feature:
- Guardianship – protecting the interests of the company
- Advisory – guiding corporate policy to achieve the company’s aims and reinforce its purpose
- Compliance – ensuring the integrity of the company and promoting its ethical values
- Leadership – participating, motivating and monitoring performance and budget of internal and external lawyers in deal making, transactional business and litigation
- Pragmatism – give binding legal effect and protection to the company’s transactions
What are the Goals?
By the end of this training course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the role and responsibilities of General Counsel and their extent in particular circumstances
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to management with decision making based on ethics and integrity
- Deal with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related policy areas
- Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks to the company
- Create associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders, external parties (regulators, external counsel, politicians, transactional partners, clients, suppliers and customers)
Who is this Training Course for?
This training course is intended to be introductory but will take account of the level, sector experience and industries of attendees.
This AZTech training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Newly appointed General Counsel or first-time appointees
- Aspiring lawyers who wish to become General Counsel
- Executive directors, CEOs and Board Members interested in creating the role of General Counsel
- Compliance officers needing to understand the role and duties of General Counsel
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This AZTech training course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes a combination of conventional teaching, group discussion and dialogue supported by real examples and case studies. Delegates will also be expected to work on short exercises to develop their skills, including role play, and encouraged to discuss real problems from within their experience or elsewhere.
The Course Content
Day One: Core Roles and Responsibilities of General Counsel
- Advising the Boards and the Executive and providing strategic legal support in matters relating to governance and legal compliance
- Developing and managing internal and external legal resources
- Providing and maintaining the necessary legal input on all transaction and contractual negotiations
- Developing the Bank’s legal knowledge management systems, including regulation, procurement and due diligence
- Controlling the work and budget of the legal team/Company Secretariat
- Representing the Company in the management of contentious business
- Supervising HR and employment issues
Day Two: Guardianship and Compliance – Protecting Company Interests
- Providing strategic support to the Chief Executive and Executive Committee
- Proactively managing public law constraints as well commercial and political realities
- Dealing with corporate governance requirements
- Managing public, regulatory, state aid and trade law issues affecting the Company’s schemes and products
- Protecting the Company from Competition Law or Anti-Trust suits
- Devising and implementing anti-bribery, corruption and money laundering policies
Day Three: Leadership
- Monitoring and managing legal spend across the entire organisation to ensure value for money;
- Leading the legal team and company secretariat proactively with a versatile approach to providing solutions to complex issues;
- Understanding and being responsive to the main components of current and future business activity envisaged for the Company;
- Managing change and building strong corporate governance;
- Showing visible and effective leadership to embed an open and inclusive culture which promotes the Company’s values of being collaborative, committed and creative;
- Driving a culture of professional excellence and agility.
Day Four: Deal Making and Deal Supervision
- Acting as an ambassador for the Company
- Internal lawyers and negotiation skills
- Leverage and applied negotiation systems
- Protecting the Bank’s interests in the deal documentation and ensuring that a proper due diligence exercise is undertaken;
Day Five: Risk and Crisis Management
- Dealing with contentious matters or any potential legal challenges
- Managing internal disputes
- Managing external disputes
- Providing authoritative risk-based advice - including coordinating the organisation’s response to and managing litigation
- Giving oversight and management of external legal advisers ensuring delivery and value for money
- Representing the Company to command the confidence of senior stakeholders
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the training course