Why Choose this Training Course?
Contracting arrangements play a vital role in the successful operation of any business or organisation; identifying and effectively managing the key risk areas can reduce costs and the potential for disputes, thus improving the efficiency of your organisation.
This Essentials of Contracting training course focuses on how your organisation can minimise your exposure to risk, reduce costs and the potential for disputes. It provides strategic and practical insights into managing risk through different procurement strategies and discusses best practice in developing tender documentation, criteria and evaluation. It also focuses on how to monitor and manage quality, time and cost risks.
It also features how to monitor and manage performance failures, and provides tools, tips and techniques on effective resolution of disputes to minimise cost and reputational risk exposure to your organisation.
This AZTech training course will feature:
- Key strategic considerations in the procurement process
- How best to manage principal risk areas?
- Dealing with key liability issues
- Implication of different types of change events
- Setting and enforcing performance standards
- Minimising claims and disputes
What are the Goals?
By the end of this AZTech training course, participants will be able to:
- Assess which procurement strategy best suits their needs
- Identify and manage key contracting risks
- Assess and manage the implications of change events
- Evaluate performance standards and monitor
- Appraise the different options when facing claims and potential disputes
Who is this Training Course for?
This AZTech course will benefit a wide range of personnel involved in procurement and contracting, whether new or experienced in their roles. These may include:
- General and project management
- Contracts managers, administrators and claims handlers
- Procurement and purchasing staff
- Engineering, operational and maintenance personnel
- Commercial, financial and insurance professionals
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This AZTech training course will utilise a variety of proven adult training techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. Participants will gain greater knowledge through presentations by an experienced international practitioner designed to both educate and challenge. Extensive use will be made of case studies and real examples of contracts and projects. Open and instructive group discussions will also be facilitated encouraging delegates to raise questions and share their own experiences.
The Course Content
Day One – Choosing the Right Procurement Strategy
- Key Considerations in Choosing Strategy
- Issues that Impact on Choice
- Key Delivery Models
- Principal Compensation Models
- Sourcing Strategies
- Type and Forms of Contract
Day Two – Appraisal and Implementation
- Why, What and How to Procure
- Selection and Evaluation Criteria
- Cost and Pricing – Models and Analyses
- Validity and Objectives of the Contract
- Managing Supply Chain Risk
- Navigating Negotiations - Tools and Techniques
Day Three – Principal Issues and Their Management
- Process of Risk Management
- Dealing with Design Liability
- Achieving Quality and Standard of Performance
- Managing Time and Completion Risk
- Using Indemnities and Insurance
- Choosing Governing Law and Jurisdiction
Day Four - Managing Performance and Changes
- Assignment, Novation and Subcontracting
- Implications of Changing Requirements
- Managing Events External to the Contract
- Setting Standards of Performance and Monitoring
- Using Different Types of Security
- Other Default Mechanisms
Day Five – Contract Close Out and Conflict Management
- Completion and Close Out
- Minimising Disputes through the Contract
- Types and Assessment of Claims
- Tiered Dispute Resolution Mechanisms
- Consideration of other Resolution Processes
- Arbitration and Litigation
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the training course