Why Choose this Training Course?
Power distribution equipment which are reliable, safe and efficient are essential for an electrical installation. This Power Distribution Equipment training course includes the construction, operation and maintenance aspects of the equipment namely the transformers, circuit breakers, ring main unit, switches and protection devices. Safe operations are essential as they are protected by modern and sophisticated relays and protection devices. Power distribution can either be overhead or underground and auxiliary power is obtain by means of uninterruptible power supply.
Protection systems are installed to prevent faults from damaging electrical plant and to initiate isolation of faulted sections in order to maintain continuity of supply elsewhere on the system. Recent changes in technology together with changes in the manner in which utilities and industrial organisations operate, has greatly emphasized the development of integrated protection and control.
This AZTech training course will feature:
- The construction and operations of transformers
- The characteristics of circuit breakers
- The importance and role of UPS and batteries
- The types of maintenance
- The functionalities of protection relays
What are the Goals?
By the end of this AZTech training course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the major power distribution equipment
- Determine the various types maintenance strategies
- Explain the different types of circuit breakers
- Analyse the characteristics of oil immersed transformers
- Design a simple electrical power distribution incorporating the main power distribution equipment
Who is this Training Course for?
The training course will benefit the engineers, technicians and supervisors on the operations, functions of major renewable energy integration components. This AZTech course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Electrical engineers
- Electrical supervisors
- Power engineers
- Managers in-charge of electrical installations
- Project engineers
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This AZTech training course will utilise a variety of proven adult training techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes presentation and discussion of latest videos and technologies on smart grids and renewable energy.
Questions are encouraged throughout, particularly at the daily wrap up sessions. This provides opportunities for participants to discuss with the Presenter specific issues and, if possible, find appropriate solutions. Specific goals of each participant will be discussed to ensure that their needs are fulfilled whenever practicable.
The Course Content
Day One: Distribution Power Transformers Types, Characteristics, Operations and Protection
- Types and design of power transformers
- Oil immersed transformers
- Major components of a power transformer
- Vector groups for transformers
- Cooling systems for transformers
- Fault level and impedance percentage of a transformer
Day Two: Construction and Characteristics Switches and Circuit Breakers
- Construction and operation of load break switch, earth switches and isolators
- Construction and operation of molded case circuit breaker
- Construction and operations of air circuit breaker
- The electronic trip of an air circuit breaker
- The construction and operation of vacuum circuit breaker
- Characteristics of vacuum circuit breaker
Day Three: SF6 and High Voltage Circuit Breakers
- SF6 arc quenching characteristics
- SF6 circuit breaker operations and characteristics
- Live tank high voltage circuit breaker
- Dead tank high voltage circuit breaker
- Safety of SF6 circuit breakers
- New alternative grid green gas
Day Four: Auxiliary Power by Means of Batteries and Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
- Critical loads and distribution equipment categories
- Types of online and offline UPS design
- Components functionalities of a UPS
- Double conversion UPS
- Redundancy and parallel operation of UPS
- UPS operational modes
Day Five: Maintenance and Safety of Power Distribution Equipment
- Functionalities of numerical relays
- Maintenance strategies
- Partial discharge and its effects
- Merits of thermography
- Power quality measurement instruments
- Wrap up session and Q&A session
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the training course