Why Choose this Training Course?
Strategic objectives help to maintain competitive advantage. However, how does an organization manage the delivery of strategic goals? How can strategic goals be aligned with work results? Even if we produce the defined results, how can we ensure that those outputs produce the outcomes that realize strategic value?
The answer is effective Governance. A governance structure that clearly identifies future needs and supports the selection, management, control and measurement of strategic initiatives to address those needs. This governance structure is based upon three pillars: portfolios, programmes and projects. In this Mastering Portfolios, Programmes & Projects training course, you will explore each of these pillars including how to use them to link strategic objectives with programme and project deliverables in order to achieve the competitive advantages gained through improved operations.
This training course will feature:
- Examination of effective governance mechanisms to support planning, execution (change) and performance management
- Portfolio management
- Programme and project alignment and management
- Effective measurement and reporting mechanisms
- Verification of project, programme and strategic goals
What are the Goals?
By the end of this AZTech training course, participants will be able to:
- Apply governance mechanisms to achieve key outcomes through project deliverables
- Compose effective dashboards and scorecards to report project performance
- Align strategic goals with project implementation through effective chartering techniques
- Apply generally accepted project management techniques to establish an integrated project plan baseline
- Measure, forecast, present status and control project performance using proactive change management
Who is this Training Course for?
This course is designed for professionals either directly or indirectly involved in the delivery of projects. It will also prove informative and useful to members of an organization tasked with strategic oversight and portfolio management.
This course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Associate project managers,
- Project managers
- Project coordinators
- Project analysts
- Project leaders
- Senior project managers
- Team leaders
- Product managers
- Program managers
- Project sponsors
- Project team members
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. The facilitator will introduce each of the core topics using a lecture format. Presentations are supported by reinforcement exercises to emphasize the application of theory in real-world project settings. The course commences with an overview of the nature of projects and the fundamentals of project management. This is expanded to describe how projects can facilitate wider governance structures that enable achievement of strategic goals. Peer learning is promoted as delegates are encouraged to discuss how techniques may apply within their own environments.
The Course Content
Day One: Governance - Linking Strategy to Deliverables
- Project governance structures
- Portfolio management mechanisms
- Managing related projects - controlling a programme
- The nature of projects
- Setting up for success
- Project management maturity
Day Two: Portfolios
- Understanding strategy
- Roles and responsibilities in portfolio management
- Develop the portfolio strategic plan
- Chartering the portfolio
- Define the roadmap
- Portfolio management
Day Three: Programmes
- Programme definition
- The programme manager
- Setting up a programme
- Programme Lifecycle phases
- Controlling programmes of projects
- Effective communications
Day Four: Projects
- Defining a project
- Planning project scope
- Other key planning considerations
- Project management
- Reporting and controlling work
- Closing projects
Day Five: Alignment - Linking the Three Pillars
- Project selection techniques
- Aligned definition of projects within a program
- Managing change - effective reporting
- Benefits measurement - linking outputs with outcome
- Leadership and teamwork
- Selecting appropriate project lifecycles
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the training course
- The applicable PMI Professional Development Units/Contact Hours will be reflected in the Certificate of Completion
AZTech as an A.T.P. (Authorised Training Partner) has been approved by PMI to issue applicable Professional Development Units (PDUs) for its Project Management training courses. PMI allows credential holders to apply PDUs to the maintenance of their credentials where one contact hour of training is equivalent to one PDU.
PMI is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.