Professional Recognition and Accreditation
- This is an ILM (Institute of Leadership and Management) Endorsed Programme*
Why Choose this Course?
This course will reveal how the world's most successful companies manage multiple-shift and 24-hour operations to deliver world-class people and process performance. All industries are highly competitive so in order to compete successfully, 24-hour operations must continuously improve to achieve the highest possible standards at all times.
For a facility to operate safely and efficiently 24/7, it is necessary to apply shift working best practices. Multiple-shift operation poses a challenge because of the potential for fatigue and disconnects caused by the fact that the personnel are changing every few hours. This can result in a significantly increased risk of incidents and operational problems such as reduced throughput, poor communication and increased levels of waste.
This course will feature:
- Why 24/7 operation needs multiple-shift working
- How Shift working introduces extra challenges
- Communication and leadership for shift working
- Why shift working increases risk from fatigue and at changeover
- Development of strategies to manage shift risks & issues & become a world-class 24/7 operation
What are the Goals?
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize and appreciate the issues associated with 24/7 shift operation.
- Identify strategies to deal with the issues.
- Benchmark your performance against that of world-class facilities & explore alternative shift schedules.
- Develop effective Shift Supervisors.
- Create an Action Plan for continuous improvement back at work.
Who is this Course for?
This course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit delegates new to shift working environments, as well as those with many years experience of shift work, from both process and non-process industries, namely:
- Plant/operations personnel and managers, shift supervisors and shift team leaders
- Personnel interested in Quality and Quality Assurance
- Maintenance and Engineering Personnel
- Training & Development Personnel
- Personnel from Logistics or Network Support Teams
- Personnel from Customer Service at any level
- HR Personnel and those involved in Staff health and welfare at any level
How will this be Presented?
This course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes a combination of lecture, discussion and group/individual activities. Delegates are encouraged to bring specific challenges and issues they are facing to the session for group discussion. In addition, we will discuss Best Practices currently used at participants' companies so that delegates will have the opportunity to learn from numerous sources. Each delegate will develop a personal Action Plan that will help guide future improvement efforts back at work.
The Course Content
Understanding the issues associated with shift working
- Shift Working Self-Assessment - How does your operation measure up?
- Continuity of operation and Consistency of approach
- Benchmarking against world-class operations
- Shift-to-shift handover
- Fatigue and its consequences and other People issues
Sharing the specific issues of the course delegates
Effective Communications, Effective Shift Handover & Continuity of Operation
- Deliver effective management communication to all shifts
- Improve shift leader-team communications
- Develop effective interfaces across shifts
- Best practices for effective shift handover and Start of shift meetings
- Effective standard operating procedures
- Training and developing Shift Teams
Developing Effective Shift Supervisors, Continuous Improvement/Kaizen in 24-Hour Operations
- Evolution of the role of supervisor
- Training and developing effective supervisors
- Benchmarking performance of supervisors
- Understanding CI
- Workplace organization, 5S and TPS
- Management visibility/GEMBA
Dealing with Fatigue, Pros and Cons of Different Shift Systems
- The body clock and circadian rhythms
- Causes of fatigue & Fatigue Countermeasures
- History of shift working
- Alternative Shift Schedules
- Analysis of delegates' shift schedules and issues
Dealing with People Issues on Shift
- Managing performance
- Dealing with poor performance
- Improving Motivation and Counseling
- Consistency of approach
Applying the Learning - Group Vision and Action Plan
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the course.
- ILM Endorsed Certificate for delegates who successfully attend and pass the required assessment.
AZTech is an ILM (Institute of Leadership & Management) Recognised Provider and offers a number of Endorsed Management and Leadership programmes. Aside from AZTech’s Certificate of Completion, delegates will be able to pursue ILM Endorsed Certification (which typically involves passing an additional study, either a work based assignment or on-demand assessment) after the conclusion of this ILM endorsed programme.