Why Choose this Training Course?
In light of increasing marine environment protection imperatives, an updated and global understanding of the marine pollution problem, as well as enhanced awareness of management systems should be a priority to everyone involved with the shipping and offshore oil and gas industries.
This AZTech training course provides an overview of marine pollution agenda, with the focus on emerging trends, current management systems, and ship-source pollution management. The training course is designed to provide a global approach to marine pollution management integrating, amongst others, the human element, industry best practices, and recent developments on the international level.
This AZTech training course will feature:
- Fundamentals of marine environment protection and marine pollution
- Management systems and marine pollution
- Ship-source marine pollution management
- Proactive approaches and post-event strategies
- Topical issues
What are the Goals?
By the end of this AZTech training course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the challenges relating to marine environment protection and marine pollution management
- Develop familiarity with current trends and policies
- Improve their understanding of ship-source marine pollution management
- Identify hazards related to offshore oil and gas operations affecting the marine environment
- Enhance their understanding of legal management of marine pollution
Who is this Training Course for?
This AZTech training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Managers from the shipping and oil and gas industries
- Administrators in contact with the maritime industry
- Administrators involved with the implementation of international regulations
- Jurists interested in the broader picture of marine pollution
- Technical personnel keen to develop familiarity with international regulations and managerial practices
- Senior professionals interested in updates
- Market newcomers
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This AZTech training course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes lectures with active delegate participation including problem solving and discussions. Several practical examples will be presented, and the focus will be on current best practices.
Workshops will include case studies and will be presented with explanation of practical measures necessary for efficient managing of marine pollution problems. Various examples from real-life practice will be included and combined with video animations to help gain the confidence in informed decision making.
The Course Content
Day One: Fundamentals
- Definitions, types of marine pollution and impacts
- Emerging trends: Sustainability and SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) 14
- Precautionary principle, Polluter pays principle, Strict liability
- Ships and ports
- Pollution from the off-shore oil and gas sector
- Global and regional marine pollution management actions
Day Two: Management Systems and Marine Pollution
- International standards/specifications relating to marine environment protection
- International Safety Management (ISM) Code Overview
- Impact of the ISM Code on marine pollution management
- Managing the human factor through education and training
- Shift of marine pollution risk to underwriters
- Legal management of polluting incidents
Day Three: Ship-Source Marine Pollution Management
- Marine pollution from bunkers and carriage of oil by sea
- Shipboard Oil Pollution Emergency Plan (SOPEP)
- Chemical Pollution
- Management of sewage aboard
- Garbage Management Plan
- Marine pollution management and ship recycling
Day Four: Proactive Approaches and Post-Event Strategies
- International conventions
- Regional conventions
- Use of places of refuge
- Contingency planning on the national level
- Post-event intervention
Day Five: Topical Issues
- Polar Code
- Air emissions from vessels
- Ballast water
- IMO Audit Scheme
- Decommissioning of offshore platforms
- Unmanned vessels
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the course