Why Choose this Course?
This course will enable participants to understand the basics of the devices that are key to the financial success of the organisation. The course is unique in the sense that participants will be exposed to look at all measurement devices for financial transactions, including production allocation and custody transfer.
Flow measurement is essential in many industries such as the oil, power, chemical, food, water, and waste treatment industries. In a typical processing plant, a flow measurement inaccuracy of less than one percent could easily result in a loss of revenue of several million dollars per year. These industries require the accurate, precise and repeatable determination of the quantity of a fluid either gas, liquid, or steam, that passes through a check point, in their daily processing or operating.
This course will feature:
- How to examine different types of custody transfer
- How to conduct a thorough review of flow measurement devices
- Understand the various level measurement devices
- How to examine flow calibration and proving methods and potential problems with proving systems
- Understand the basic principles of Inventory control
- Discussion on various industry and international standards
What are the Goals?
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate and quantify aspects of accurate, precise and repeatable flow and level measurements that are related to custody transfer
- Understand aspects of inventory control related to flow measurements
- Understand flow and level measuring devices
- Understand the basic fluid and gas laws that are essential for flow and level measurements
- Understand calibration and prover systems and gain more confidence in the measurement systems
Who is this Course for?
This course is suitable to a wide range of Technical professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Technicians involved in design or operation of custody transfer systems
- Practicing instrumentation/ process Engineers
- Measurement Superintendents
- Inventory and purchasing control Personnel
- Managers in the industry
How will this be Presented?
This course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes the use of mix of classroom lecture and participation discussion. Case studies will also be discussed on individual topics. Typical problems will be discussed in group. There shall be open discussion on different subjects also. The course will include videos and animations of basic concepts and measuring devices. The delegates will be provided with electronic copies of the course notes.
The Course Content
Custody Transfer & Flow Measurement - Introduction and Essential Concepts
- Introduction to custody transfer and Best Practice
- Flow measuring devices - introduction, types, selection, Velocity and Density Measurements
- Allocation for distributing revenue and expenses
- Fiscal for payment to regulatory authorities
- Fluid and Gas Laws - Governing equations
- Measurement terminology - Accuracy, Precision, Repeatability, Reliability
Flow Measuring Devices – Part I
- Flow measuring devices, Specification and selection for Custody Transfer
- intrusive/ non-intrusive measurement, Flow Modification
- Volumetric and Mass Measurement
- Differential Pressure Measurement, Measurement Corrections
- Positive Displacement Measurement
Flow Measuring Devices – Part II
- Velocity Measurement
- Inferential, Propeller, Turbine,
- Mass Measurement, Coriolis
Level Measuring Devices
- Introduction, Types
- Top-Entry Measurement, Contact, Non-Contact Measurement
- Displacement Measurement
- Buoyancy Measurement
- Magnetic, Ultrasonic, Radar, Conductive, Capacitance, Bubbles, Vibrating, Nuclear
Calibration / Proving & Custody Transfer Management
- Calibration and Proving, Different method of proving flow measuring devices, Master Meter Systems, API Standards
- Types of proving facilities, Leased and portable proving facilities
- Problems with the Prover, Impact of faulty proving methods
- LACT units - introduction and overview, Equipment, Truck custody transfer, OIML recommendation
- API gravity- definition and importance in custody transfer
- Inventory Management, Tank Gauging and Calibration, Gravimetric Inventory Control
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the course.