Why Choose this Training Course?
Why should an organisation pay attention to developing good Labour and Employee Relations? Events in the most well-run of organisations can leave employees experiencing feelings of unfairness, alienation, demotivation and frustration. However, with positive employee relations and channels for expressing and dealing with problems, an organisation can ensure that by addressing the employees or group’s complaint quickly and fairly and at the lowest level possible within the organisation, a positive outcome is assured, and issues are not escalated.
This AZTech training course looks at the role of managers, unions and employee representatives, and how they can nurture trust-based relationships within the organisation and generate a positive work culture which improves the overall productivity and output of a business, as well as benefiting the employee’s personal well-being even when conflict arises.
This AZTech training course will feature:
- How to Work Effectively to Build Trust in the Unionised Environment
- The Union's Role in Building and Maintaining a Productive Work Environment
- Identifying Interests Which Call for Engaging, Motivating and Coaching
- Recognising Rights, Setting Boundaries and Obligations
- Managing and Applying Discipline
- Performance Management that Works
- Negotiating, Mediating, Conflict Management Skills
What are the Goals?
By the end of this AZTech training course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the Strategic Nature of Employee Relations
- The Role of Unions and other Employee Representatives
- Recognise the importance of Employee Engagement
- Develop Performance Management that Delivers
- Understand mediation, Bargaining and Collective Agreements
- How to Investigate and Handle Grievances, Settlements and Arbitration
Who is this Training Course for?
This AZTech training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Managers new to a unionised work environment
- Front-line supervisors and team leaders responsible for creating positive working relationships with unionised workers
- HR supervisors and Labour Relations Leaders overseeing skilled trades professionals
- HR specialists responsible for Employee Relations, Negotiating and Mediating
- HR Administrators
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This AZTech training course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes group discussion, group-based exercises, questionnaires, videos, role play and tutor input.
The Course Content
Day One: The Importance of Effective Employee Relations
- Why Workplace Relations Matter
- Industrial and Employee Relations – Differences and Similarities
- Features of the Unionised Workplace – What Role Do Unions Play?
- Building Culture in a Unionised Environment
- Defining Acceptable Norms and Mores
- Collective Agreements and Terminology
Day Two: Interests, Rights and Power
- Interests – Motivation, Engagement, Trust
- Rights – Establishing Boundaries, Rights and Obligations
- Power – Discipline, Accountability and Boundary Enforcement
- Bargained Rights vs. Residual Rights
- Making and Enforcing Rules
- Organisational Policies and Procedures
Day Three: Performance Management
- Creating a Performance Based Culture
- Setting Expectations and Performance Standards
- Responsibilities of the Union and Management
- Discipline, Grievances and Investigations
- Coaching and Assistance to Improve Performance
- Managing Absenteeism
Day Four: Dispute Resolution - Handling Industrial Action
- Nature of Conflict
- Types of Industrial Action
- Mediation and Conciliation
- Management Responses
- Rights to Dismiss and Discipline
Day Five: Alternatives to Unions
- Importance of the Employee Voice
- Joint Consultative Committees
- Employee Representatives
- Forums and Quality Circles
- Role of Legislation
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the training course
- The HRCI Approved Provider Seal and the corresponding Re-certification Credit Hours Awarded will be reflected in the Certificate of Completion
The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute's® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.