Video: Karl Harper on
Advanced Strategies in Oil & Gas
Finance & Accounting
Why Choose this Course?
In today’s competitive oil and gas industry, with strong pressure to meet increased market demands while lowering operating costs and improving return for investors and company stakeholders, what strategies should companies adopt to ensure sustainable growth?
Given the substantial capital costs and long lead times from exploration to sale, implementing and managing strategies in Oil & Gas finance and accounting are critical success factors. This course therefore focuses on the essential skills and techniques required to enable you to make appropriate strategic decisions to maximize profit, reduce costs and financial risks.
This course will feature:
- The current and future challenges within the sector
- The advanced strategic decisions facing companies given the challenging environment & the techniques to make strategic decisions
- Financing strategies – the optimum capital structure & capital investment appraisal techniques aimed at maximising shareholder wealth
- Strategies to reduce and/or eliminate financial risk
- An analysis of the performance of leading international Oil & Gas companies
What are the Goals?
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify & evaluate the challenges facing the Oil & Gas sector now & in the future.
- Use skills & techniques to assist with key strategic decisions facing their company.
- Recommend appropriate financing decisions & make capital investment decisions.
- Evaluate the performance of leading Oil & Gas companies to identify areas of best practice.
- Advise on methods to eliminate or reduce financial risks facing Oil & Gas companies.
Who is the Course for?
This course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Key Personnel in the Oil and Gas Industry
- Accountants & Finance professionals responsible for financial accounting, treasury, budget preparation and management reporting
- Process and non-technical professionals who require a more in-depth understanding of strategic issues facing the Oil & Gas sector now and in the future
- Managers involved in making CAPEX decisions
- Bankers and Professionals who work in Energy Lending
How will this be Presented?
This course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes the evaluation of real-world case studies using the latest techniques, group discussions as well as one-to-one support.
Throughout the course you will be engaged in a number of activities forming an Action Plan for on-going discussion and implementation after the course
This is designed to improve your skills as well as knowledge and to ensure tangible benefits are seen within your organisation.
Your Tablet eManual
The innovative feature of this course is your Tablet eManual. This course utilises the latest technology to offer thru the use of a Tablet Computer which you can keep after the course.
Your Tablet eManual is loaded with:
- Course manual
- PowerPoint slides
- Excel Analysis, Financial Reports & Sector Analysis
- Course handouts and exercises
- Interesting articles for further reading
- Short videos and relevant links used in the course
- Photos taken during the course
The Course Content
Day One: Strategic Issues facing the Oil & Gas sector
- The Nature of the Oil & Gas sector
- Current & Future challenges within the sector – a question of Supply & Demand
- Resources & Reserves
- Financial Issues
- Volatility: Demand, Energy prices, Exchange Rates, Interest Rates
Day Two: Advanced Strategic Decisions
- Strategic Planning
- Analytical Tools to Aid Strategic Planning
- Balancing Upstream, Midstream & Downstream
- Growth Strategies: Exploration, Diversification, Vertical & Horizontal Integration
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Production Sharing Agreements & Strategic Alliances
Day Three: Financing Strategies in the Oil & Gas Sector
- Sources of Finance – the Optimum Capital Structure and the Cost of Capital
- Capital Investment Appraisal: NPV, IRR, Modified IRR, Payback
- Financial Forecasting and Analysis in Excel
- Managing Uncertainty of Production, Prices, Capital Costs & Construction Delays
- Modelling Energy Prices in Capital Budgeting
Day Four: Financial Risk Management Strategies
- Developing and Implementing a Risk Management Strategy
- Risk Analysis of Oil and Gas projects using Excel
- Sensitivity Analysis, Sensitivity Charts & Scenario Analysis, Monte Carlo Simulation
- Hedging Energy Prices; Interest Rates & Foreign Exchange Rates using Financial Derivatives
- Accounting for Hedging Under IFRS
Day Five: Financial Analysis of Oil & Gas Companies
- Analysing the Performance of International Oil & Gas Companies
- Analysing and Interpreting ‘Energy Specific’ Ratios
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) relevant for Oil & Gas Companies
- Determining the proper classification of oil and gas costs: Capitalise, Expense, Exploration costs, Development costs, Production costs
- Analysing the impact of different accounting methods on financial statements
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the course.