Why Choose this Training Course?
Business planning is an essential management tool enabling an enterprise both to succeed in a global marketplace and to be accountable to its shareholders, but the process must be supported by effective project management to ensure that plans do not become merely decorative “shelfware”.
Too often, business planning is an onerous annual chore driven by financial numbers alone, instead of a powerful method of defining and delivering profitable change for the organization.
This AZTech management training course demonstrates a practical and robust method to produce a business vision, based on analysis and debate, which is then delivered through a coherent programme of projects delivered by engaged and accountable managers.
This AZTech training course will feature:
- What does a good plan look like?
- What is the practical payoff for the organization?
- Organizing and Resourcing a regular annual time-bound exercise
- Demonstration of a simple and robust process to generate a powerful plan
- Getting the right people around the table in the right setting with the right mind-set
What are the Goals?
By the end of this AZTech training course, participants will be able to:
- Design and manage a business planning process which suits their business
- Mobilize the resources and information required to produce a robust business plan
- Analyze their business environment to develop a plan which will deliver the “business vision”
- Finalize and communicate a business plan to the stakeholders affected by the plan
- Direct and manage the delivery of the plan through a coherent PRINCE2 programme
Who is this Training Course for?
This management training course is designed for senior and middle managers who are aspiring to general management positions and individuals seeking an understanding of this key element of the top manager’s tool kit. It is also relevant to C-level leaders looking to expand their businesses.
This AZTech training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Senior leaders in Marketing, Finance, Operations and HR functions
- Headquarters staff in complex organizations across all business sectors and public administration
- Departmental heads responsible for components of the business plan
- Senior Programme and Project Management staff
- Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) leaders aiming to grow their businesses
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This AZTech training course will use a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes classroom based learning with a competitive practical team element. Case studies and practical simulations of the business plan processes producing outline plans for a case study client. Critical examination of major companies’ business plan processes. Production of a plan for an imaginary company with role-play exercises using the proven methodology.
The Course Content
Day One: Introduction and Background
- Introduction – planning as leadership
- Business Planning as a cross-business process – “Train hard, fight easy!”
- Bottom-up and Top-down planning approaches
- Resources and facilities required for successful planning
- Financial Planning and Business Planning
- The importance of practical delivery – “where the rubber meets the road!”
Day Two: The Planning Workshop – Walk-through of the “Fishbone”© Method
- Using the Fishbone© approach to shape the problem for an imaginary client described in student case study material
- Appraisal of the plan start point
- Formulation of the desired end-state
- Analysis of the “terrain of travel”
- Planning for Effectiveness
- Planning for Efficiency
Day Three: Using the Planner’s Toolkit
- Porter’s Five Forces analysis
- SWOT and Force-field analysis
- The Boston Matrix
- The Ansoff Matrix
- The Communications Matrix©
- The Balanced Scorecard
Day Four: Plan Delivery through Projects
- PRINCE2 programme/project management
- Plan delivery and governance
- Engaging and motivating the organization’s resources
- Business Planning as part of Total Quality Management and “Lean”
- Measurement and Display
- Building a planning culture
Day Five: From Concept to Practical Reality
- Communicating the plan to stakeholders
- Stepping stones, trip-ups and milestones
- Resourcing the projects
- Monitoring and celebrating success
- Continuous improvement of the process
- The “proof of the pudding”
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the training course