Why Choose this Training Course?
Electric motors are important machines in all electrical installation. The types and operations of the motors have been carefully selected in order to optimize its utilization. In this AZTech training course, different type of motors construction will be discussed so as to understand their operating principles and characteristics includes single phase motors, three phase motors and drives.
In the AC single phase and three phase motors the various types design criteria, enclosures and methods of starting will be discussed in depth, so as to comprehend its starting and operational functionalities. Electric motors being an integral component in electrical installation the protection methods and maintenance are also emphasized.
Understanding maintenance and troubleshooting procedures of motor means that reduced downtime and increased productivity are the immediate benefits for the company and its management. Equally important, the protection requirements incorporating digital numerical relays along with their function and integration with the overall system ensures that such expensive apparatus, requiring high capital investment, is well guarded against failures further offering safety for operations personnel as well.
This AZTech training course will feature:
- The operations and characteristics of single-phase motors
- Characteristics and construction of three phase induction motors
- Operation of variable frequency drive motors
- The importance and role of motor protection and numerical relays
- The types of maintenance strategies for motors installation
What are the Goals?
By the end of this AZTech training course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the various types of induction motors and drives
- Appreciate the importance of numerical protection relays
- Analyse the various motor characteristics and applications
- Explain the various maintenance strategies applied to motors
- Recognise the importance of correct troubleshooting equipment and techniques
Who is this Training Course for?
This training course will benefit all levels of personnel in an electrical installation. It will enable them to identify the causes and apply analysis of electrical faults in a power system.
This AZTech training course is suitable to a wide range of technical professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Electrical supervisors
- Plant electricians
- Operations & maintenance engineers, supervisors & technicians
- Maintenance technicians
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This AZTech training course will utilise a variety of proven adult training techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes presentation and discussion of case studies (with appropriate solutions), latest videos, technologies, and various commercial fault current analysis software.
Questions are encouraged throughout, particularly at the daily wrap up sessions. This provides opportunities for participants to discuss with the Presenter specific issues and, if possible, find appropriate solutions. Specific goals of each participant will be discussed to ensure that their needs are fulfilled whenever practicable.
The Course Content
Day One: Introduction to Single Phase motors and Characteristics
- Principles of operation of single phase motors
- Construction and components of the capacitor start induction motor
- Merits of capacitor start and run induction motor
- Common applications of single phase motors
- Starting methods and protection for single phase motors
- Common faults in single phase induction motors
Day Two: Operations, Characteristics and Applications of Three Phase Induction Motors
- Operations and characteristics of three phase induction motor
- Applications and features of three phase induction motors
- Speed torque characteristics and design classifications
- Selection of induction motors for industrial applications including Ex
- Types of enclosures and mountings
- Interpretation of motor nameplate information
Day Three: Variable Frequency Drives and Soft Starting
- Fundamental concepts of a variable frequency drive (VFD)
- Installation, application and merits of VFD
- The pulse width modulation (PWM) process
- Measurement of rotor shaft current and its significance
- Inverter ready motor and bearings for VFD
- Soft starter characteristics and applications in VFD
Day Four: Importance of Motor Protection with Numerical Relays
- Basic motor protection and common faults
- Overload settings with RTD protection
- Introduction to digital numerical relays
- Motor protection incorporating multi-functional numerical relays
- Intelligent motor protection relays
- Motor control centres
Day Five: Condition Based Maintenance with Correct Test Instruments for Motors
- Thermal imaging merits
- Partial discharge monitoring
- Types of testing and diagnostics instruments
- Digital measuring instruments
- Vibration analysis effects on bearings
- Smart motor faults diagnostics
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the training course