Professional Recognition and Accreditation
- This is an HR Certification Institute (HRCI) Pre-Approved Programme*
Why Choose this Course?
A properly designed and effective performance appraisal process will require a range of techniques including agreeing objectives, reviewing and monitoring performance, giving feedback, coaching, training and development and of course, the appraisal itself. This cutting-edge course will demonstrate how these techniques link taking into account best practice in appraisal systems and the multi-cultural environment.
This course is focused on both the theoretical and the practical. The course also focuses on effective performance and feedback - integrating this with current Talent Management principles. There will be a practical skills workshop conducted each day where what has been learned will be put into practice:
This course will feature:
- How to design and introduce an effective performance appraisal scheme
- Develop a checklist for preparing and implementing a formal appraisal scheme
- The skills that managers, supervisors and team leaders need to be effective in performance appraisal
- Making performance appraisal work in a multi-cultural environment
- Evaluation and review of the system
What are the Goals?
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Define several types of performance appraisal systems
- Describe the purposes of performance appraisal from an individual's and organisation’s point-of-view
- Develop a plan for the effective implementation of an appraisal system
- Question the role of performance appraisal in a multi-cultural environment
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of various appraisal methods
Who is this Course for?
This course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Any Human Resource (HR) personnel who need to stay up-to-date on current practicein performance appraisal
- Any Leader, manager, team-leader, supervisor who conducts performance reviews and appraisals
- Those who received their training in past years and need to be brought up to date with the new and effective approaches performance appraisal
How will this be Presented?
Dynamic presentations support each of the topics together with interactive trainer lead sessions of discussion. There will also be numerous practical sessions where participants have the opportunity to participate and experience topics taught. Case studies, DVDs, small group work, exercises and feedback will be used to facilitate learning and provide a fun and energising learning environment.
The Course Content
Day One: The Role of Assessment & Appraisal
- Why have an assessment & appraisal?
- The purposes of performance appraisal
- What is appraised?
- Trends in assessment & appraisal
- The problems of conflicting objectives
- The ethics of appraising people
Day Two: Implementing a Successful Appraisal Scheme
- Formal Vs Informal systems
- Who does the appraisal&who should be appraised?
- Obtaining top management support
- Preparing a policy statement
- Instructions to appraisers
- Checklist – preparing and implementing a formal appraisal scheme
Day Three: Types of Appraisal
- Ranking, Critical incident, Forced choice&Narrative methods
- Management by Objectives (MBO)
- Behaviourally Anchored Rating Scales (BARS)
- Behavioural Observation Scales (BOS)
- Deciding which type to use
- Overcoming problems in ratings
Day Four: The Appraisal Interview
- Common reasons for failure and mistakes made
- Communication skills for appraisal (Questioning and Listening)
- Hints on interviewing
- Planning & Preparing for an Appraisal interview
- Emotional Intelligence & Feedback
- Practice appraisal interviews - role plays
Day Five: Key Issues in Performance Appraisal & Assessment
- Assessment Centres and Appraisal
- Performance Appraisal in a Multi-Cultural Setting
- Best practice in assisting with employee personal problems (EAP)
- Talent Management & Succession Planning links
- Evaluation and review of the system
- Personal Action Planning
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the course.
- The HRCI Approved Provider Seal and the corresponding Recertification Credit Hours Awarded will be reflected in the Certificate of Completion.
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute's criteria to be pre-approved for re-certification credit.