Why Choose this Training Course?
In his famous book, Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ, Psychologist Daniel Goleman brought the idea of EI to the masses. Goleman based his ideas on emerging work in neuroscience that shows that the brain’s emotional centres are involved in everything we think and do and are enormously important in our daily life.
Emotional Intelligence (EI) is the ability to observe, distinguish, control and appraise our emotions. The aim is to use our awareness of EI to manage our behaviour and relationships. This five-day course will help you develop and enhance your EI and communication skills. It will focus on practical skills development that will significantly benefit the persona individually and in their work life.
This course will focus on how EI relates to the work of engineers. It will be run by recognised global expert and author in the area.
This AZTech training course will feature:
- The essentials of Emotional Intelligence (EI)
- The Transition from Engineer to Leader
- Understanding your Emotions
- Giving feedback in the EI way
- Developing your EI as an Engineer
What are the Goals?
At the end of this training course, participants will be able to:
- Individually develop and identify their EI competencies
- Describe the core competencies of EI
- Understand how to motivate self and others
- Display improved competency in EI at multiple levels
- List skills needed to transition from an Engineer to a leadership role
Who is this Training Course for?
This AZTech training course will suit a wide variety of participants, but it will particularly be suitable for:
- Engineers wish to develop their interpersonal skills
- Engineering Professionals moving into a leadership or senior role
- Anyone who needs to improve their competency in Emotional Intelligence
- Technical professionals transiting into a people management role
- Graduates in engineering who wish to improve their career prospects
How will this Training Course be Presented?
Participants in this training course will receive thorough training on the subjects covered by the course outline, with the facilitator utilising various proven adult learning teaching and facilitation techniques.
The training course is very participatory and experiential. It involves a lot of skill practice in a group setting. Training methodology includes individual and group activities that will intersperse the sessions. Various practical sessions, relevant case studies and group interactions are programmed into this course. As this is coaching-based, participants will be given activities to complete and work on after the face-to-face training.
The Course Content
Day One: Understanding Emotional Intelligence (EI)
- An introduction to EI
- Why the Term EQ was abandoned
- An EI Framework and Competencies for Engineers
- Understanding your personality
- Understanding your blind spots
Day Two: The Transition from Engineer to Leader
- The role of the Engineer
- From technical expert to leader
- The difference between managing and leading
- Transformational and transactional leadership
- The unique needs of the engineer as a leader
Day Three: Developing your EI
- Improving your EI Competency as an Engineer
- Motivating yourself and others
- Ways to improve your EI
- Working on your EI as an Engineer
- Career development tool
Day Four: Applying your EI as an Engineer
- Giving feedback in the EI way
- Cross-cultural communication
- Using active listening
- Advanced questioning skills
- Being EI online (email/SM usage)
Day Five: Putting it all Together
- Understanding motivation
- Motivating yourself and other Engineers
- Team issues an EI
- Avoiding groupthink
- Personal action planning
- AZTech Certificate of Completion for delegates who attend and complete the training course